POLICIES and PROCEDURES for MASSAGE THERAPY
SmithWorks Inc. (“SWI”) is the parent company to this website, http://www.cathysmithndlmt.com, and to the massage therapy business of Catherine (Cathy) Smith, LMT #9278.
MEDICAL HISTORY and INFORMED CONSENT
Each session requires your completion of an Intake Form prior to the beginning of your massage. The Intake Form includes information pertaining to your health history with focus on problematic or painful areas. Your responses to questions on the Intake Form helps to determine any potential contraindications for massage. In some cases, you may be asked to provide a written release from your primary care physician in order to receive massage. Keep in mind that your medical records will be held in a confidential manner. In some cases, the information from your chart may be shared with other health care providers, but only with your written permission.
SCOPE OF PRACTICE
Catherine Smith, LMT is a licensed professional who holds to the highest standards of the Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (abmp). Massage therapy is a profession in which the practitioner applies manual techniques and may apply adjunctive therapies with the intention of positively affecting the health and well-being of the client. Massage therapists do not diagnose or prescribe for medical conditions nor do they provide treatment for specific conditions without a doctor’s supervision.
Personal and professional boundaries are respected at all times. The practitioner only performs services for which she is qualified professionally, physically, and emotionally. Referrals to the appropriate specialists are made when working with the client is not within the scope of practice of the massage therapist or not in the client’s best interest. All client information is held confidential. All clients are treated with respect regardless of their age, gender, race, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic status, body type, political affiliation, state of health, or personal habits.
Treatments for pain relief are performed while you are clothed. Your shoes and jewelry are removed and placed with your personal belongings for easy retrieval after your treatment is complete. During a relaxation massage, the client will always be modestly draped; only the area being massaged will be undraped.
MASSAGE OILS and LOTIONS
If you request an essential oil currently in stock, we may agree to allow that oil to be diffused and/or incorporated into a relaxation massage. However, we are mindful that not everyone enjoys the same scents and must be cognizant of all our clients preferences.
The actions of our daily lives naturally produce a layer of bacteria on our skin. Some of these bacteria, if forced into skin pores, can cause illness and discomfort (for cigarette smokers, this also includes nicotine). Therefore, for your health and safety, please shower or bathe prior to your appointment.
During sessions, clients are encouraged to relax and inform the practitioner immediately if anything makes them uncomfortable, either physically or psychologically, so adjustments can be made.
There is zero tolerance for sexual harassment in my massage practice. The profession of massage therapy in the state of Louisiana is a licensed profession just as professions with the medical industry (doctors, nurses, etc.) are licensed. The massage profession ascribes to a code of ethical behavior and it is expected all clients treat the practitioner with the utmost respect.
RIGHT of REFUSAL
Catherine Smith, ND LMT reserves the right to refuse any prospect or client at any time for any reason.
Payment for all services is due at the time of your visit. Cash or checks and credit cards are accepted. Catherine Smith, ND LMT does not guarantee acceptance of credit cards on-site simply because broadband availablity and Internet access is available dependent upon weather conditions. Therefore, payment by credit card should be made prior to arrival. Please see our Cancellation and No Show Policy.
Gift certificates are available for purchase and are transferrable. Gift certificates have no cash value.
CLIENT / PRACTITIONER EXPECTATIONS
• Massage sessions are by appointment only.
• Do not eat a heavy meal before your massage.
• Unless under medical supervision, do not take pain relievers or muscle relaxants prior to your massage.
• Privacy and confidentiality will be maintained at all times.
• A client Intake Form must be read, filled out, and signed prior to each session.
• Not every muscular issue you have may be addressed during a given session, but your practitioner strives to improve your overall well-being by the time your session is complete.
• Your practitioner reserves the right to refrain from performing massage on clients who appear under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• Clients must inform the practitioner of any prescription medications being used and for what reason.
• There is no smoking permitted in my practice, and please refrain from doing so immediately prior to the session. I reserve the right to refuse treatment to any client who has an overabundance of nicotine odor on their skin or breath.
• Do not wear perfume or cologne to your appointment. I reserve the right to refuse treatment to any client who has an overabundance of perfume or cologne odor on their skin.
Catherine Smith, LMT reserves the right to change, add to, or modify any or all of the above policies with or without notice to the client.